The system has failed

I've just realized how difficult it is to come up with something to write that is non-controversial, original and non-boring. Each time I think of something to write, I realize that somebody, somewhere has already written about it, and has written way better than I can ever dream of writing. Take my comedy scripts for example. At some point or the other in the plot, they seem to run into one of P.G. Wodehouse's works, and not even in my wildest dreams can I think of penning down words that can equal his standards. I drift off mainstream comedy, and I run into either lack of originality or into words that are better off not said. If I quit comedy altogether, I am downright boring. One of my friends once told me, "If you want people to read what you write, write something humorous because honestly, you are not good at anything else." This was after he read my article on "eLitmus" on this blog.

All this in the midst of my exams, I must add. Now that my exams are over, I've got time to kill, stories to tell and people to cheer up. The week prior to exam results is by far the most cheerless week (It even beats the week just before the exams in its tense silence, nervous breakdowns and sweaty palms).

"What use is it? Why are we living? We will simply die, and no one will think of us. There will be a portrait of you or me up on the wall, with a fresh garland for about a week. After that, people will simply walk past, and even the garland would be a plastic one." - Goggi, two hours after the SEn exam.

A couple of days back, I made a feeble attempt to revive the Music Room. The music room, before this attempt, did not have a mike. Without it, there is absolutely no way a vocalist can be heard over the din of the drums and the electric guitars. (Not that the mike is of too great a help either.) I approached Funkk, our technical head for a mike. He was genuinely surprised that there was none in the music room. I explained to him - "Kya karein yaar, yehi izzat milti hai humein yahaan". Any other onlooker would have clapped and sobbed his heart out at that dialogue, but Funkk bhai (a.k.a. Hitler) was unmoved of course. Half an hour of convincing later, I procured a mike for 2 hours. From now on, I will need a formal mail to the Cultural Committee each time I want a mike. Very convenient indeed. I am so proud of the system we have in place.

Then again there was the pre-placement exam. An unbelievable 15 out 200 students passed (That's right, this is no typo). Alright, if you were the placement guy, what would you make of that? I could think of the following:
1) The test sucked. There is no way such a catastrophic result could come to hand.
2) The students suck. There is no way these morons could have made it through AIEEE in the first place.
3) The college sucks. It has managed to make dumb-asses out of the quite brilliant students that entered the institute.

I think they have gone for option 2, judging by the mail that has been sent to the students. I might have agreed if it weren't for a few facts -
-The only 50 pointer of our batch (10 pointer in 5 semesters) did not make it through.
-Out of the 15 students that passed, 7 were CAT-Trainees (was this a placement test or a CAT test?).
-The most brilliant persons from the Gaon (a.k.a. raj11 and Rangbaaz) did not make it through.
-Virus made it through.

What more do I say? It is not the students that have failed; The system has failed.

3 Response to "The system has failed"

Post a Comment