BigAdda... Really?

A week back I got this invite from a friend. To another social networking site, what else. This time it was BigAdda.com - The Reliance answer to Orkut and Facebook (Ya, right...). Considering it is an Indian site, I thought I'd give give it a look (way to go, patriotism). I had seen numerous ads on TV about this 'ultra-cool, fun hangout', and I did have time to burn, so what the hell?

Well, the site disappointed me, to say the least. First, it took ages to load (Looks like a certain Ambani forgot about the miserable net speeds closer to home). And when it did, for a moment I thought I had stumbled upon a college-fest website. It looked way too happy for its own good.

The interface was a let down. Maybe the designers were huge fans of Hi5. It is slow, cubersome, and it is impossible to find ways to tweak your profile. Half of the page is taken up by BigAdda ads. (Why they advertise themselves on their own site, I have no idea). The profile questions are the same, monotonous and boring. It is impossible to complete your profile with those ads flashing all over the page.

Addas and forums to encourage the growth of useless banter online. Music and videos to further slow down the critical process of loading one's profile. Add to that a few pain-in-the-ass avatars, and you have BigFlop.com. The whole webite is just a bit too cheery, looks like a misplaced fruit bowl (If only they had opted for a no-frills, clean interface *sigh*).

The blogging feature seemed to be a pick-up at the end of it, but it turned out to be a huge mirage. I can't have a URL other than hari3894881.bigadda.com. (Yes, I didn't find any way to change that. Do let me know if you do) God, it is painful for even me to type out, let alone readers.

How many more social networking sites do we need? Does BigAdda really believe they can replace Orkut, Facebook and Myspace? You've gotta be kidding me. In my eyes, all that there is to be connected in this world, has already been connected. No new flash-in-the-pan website can compete with the existing giants unless there is something really out of the box.

Google will probably blend Blogger with Orkut now, associating profiles with blogs. Then that little edge BigAdda has over Orkut will fade away like it never even existed.

Till that happens, I am very content with my prescene on Orkut and Facebook. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say, 'Chuck this, there is a plethora of other areas to invest your time'.

1 Response to "BigAdda... Really?"

  • Msquare Says:

    hmmm..quite a point you have made..i just now received another mail of something called in.com , actually ppl jst follow the rat race.. this social networking business reminds me of those always irritating news channels on TV..


Post a Comment